TOEFL IBT General Skill-Building Tips- Writing Tips Part 2
Independent Writing Tasks
●Make a list of familiar topics and practice writing about them.
●For each topic state an opinion or a preference and then support it with evidence.
●Practice planning and writing at least one essay for each topic. Be sure to take 30 minutes to plan, write, and revise each essay.
●Think about and list all ideas related to a topic or task before writing. This is also called “prewriting.”
● Identify one main idea and some major points to support that idea, and plan how to communicate them (by creating, for example, an outline to organize ideas).
● Create a focused thesis statement and use it to develop the ideas presented in the essay.
● Develop the essay by using appropriate explanation and detail.
All Writing Tasks
●Increase vocabulary and knowledge of idiomatic speech so you can use it appropriately.
● Learn grammatical structures so well that you can use them naturally when writing.
● Learn the conventions of spelling, punctuation, and layout (e.g., paragraph creation).
● Express information in an organized manner, displaying unity of thought and coherence.
● Use signal words and phrases, such as “on the one hand” or “in conclusion,” to create a clear structure for your response.
● As you practice ask yourself these questions:
– Did I complete the task?
– Did I write clearly?
– Did I make grammatical errors?
– Did I use words correctly?
– Did I organize my ideas clearly and coherently?
– Did I use the time effectively?
●Monitor your own progress and ask an English teacher or tutor to evaluate the writing by using the appropriate